The Department of Homeland Security has made the claim over the past several months that the old “catch and release” program had finally been abandoned. You might want to hold the phone on that one, however, as we’re seeing more and more judges ordering the release of more and more ICE detainees.
Although done ostensibly to mitigate the spread of the Wuhan virus infection, the releases by the federal judges–who lean left naturally–are nevertheless following a political impulse that long predates COVID-19. They are not in general sorry to have the excuse, in other words.
- For example, Judge Terry Hatter Jr. of California, a Carter nominee, last week mandated the release from prison of six illegal aliens and legal immigrants convicted of child molestation, child abuse, drunk driving, and drug trafficking.
- Federal judges in Pennsylvania and New Jersey have ordered the release of two dozen ICE detainees.
- A Massachusetts federal judge has announced he would order the release of up to 10 ICE detainees every day on a rolling basis.
- U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee in California is considering a request to fast-track the release of nearly 7,000 unaccompanied minors.
- A judge in Washington is considering a request to release about 1,350 members of migrant families who are detained at three family detention centers in Pennsylvania and Texas.
- The Congressional Hispanic Caucus, for its part, has asked for the release of all the nearly 40,000 ICE detainees currently being held.
There is a glimmer of hope here, however, according to Breitbart News’ John Binder, who wrote on April 8:
Foreign nationals held in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody are self-deporting from the United States to avoid potential infection with the Chinese coronavirus.
Binder does cite a few cases where detainees have dropped their claims to asylum and agreed to return to their home countries to escape the threat of infection or to simply get out of detention. The numbers are few and anecdotal, however, and we can assume that most of the deportations that do occur will not be of that “self-deporting” variety.
For more, see Breitbart News.
The AIC Foundation is working every day to advocate for sane immigration policies and to deliver up-to-the-minute immigration-related news. Due to the ongoing crisis caused by the Wuhan virus from China, we need your help more than ever. If you can, please help us by selecting the PayPal link at top right under DONATE TO AIC FOUNDATION. Thank you very much.